The 5 Best Kayaks: 2017 Reviews & Deals
One of the easiest, cheapest, and most environmentally friendly ways to get to a dive site for spearfishing is by kayak. With a kayak, you can launch almost anywhere and there are virtually no running costs. Kayaks are also much more affordable than other types of watercraft.
If you're new to the sport of spearfishing, you may not know which type of kayak is best for the job. While sit-on-top kayaks, or SOTs, are one of the most popular designs available today, there are many other types to consider. You'll also want to look at what features kayaks have, such as ample storage areas and reliable anchoring systems.
Not sure where to start? We've got you covered. Take a look at some of the top features to look for when searching for the best kayaks for spearfishing.
What to look for in a spearfishing kayak
- Width: The width of a kayak has a big impact on its performance. Wide kayaks offer more stability, but are generally slower when paddling and require more effort to move. Narrower kayaks are less stable, but faster when paddling.
- Length. In addition to width, you'll want to consider the pros and cons of a long kayak versus a short kayak. Short kayaks are easier to transport, but are usually slower and create more drag. Longer kayaks are faster and easier to paddle long distances, but generally cost more and are more difficult to transport.
- Storage. Storage space for kayaks is usually limited. Look for a kayak that provides enough room for your gear and keep it in an easily accessible location.
- Anchor: Having an anchor system in your kayak is essential when spearfishing. The anchoring system will prevent your boat from drifting as you go in search of your next catch.
When shopping for the best kayak for spearfishing, you'll want to choose a boat designed specifically for fishing. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak is the ultimate spearfishing boat, featuring a high-performance hull that is fast, quiet, stable and capable of handling calm and rough waters.
The kayak has a large forward hatch that allows easy access to the bow and stern interior storage spaces. There is also a Comfort Plus seat, a 6" hatch with storage bucket, two rod holders, two paddle holders, two cup holders, a skid plate, an oversized rear water tank designed to hold a cooler and tackle box, and many other great features. Through our testing process, this product came out on top as we found it to be the perfect combination of value and functionality.
- This kayak is great.
- Easy to track the water
- Fast, but very stable
- I use it every day with no problems
- Exactly as described. I love it!
- Overall a great boat.
If you're seeking luxury accommodations for your spearfishing day trip, you'll love the Hobie Cat Mirage Outback. Available in a variety of colors, this high-quality kayak features an innovative design with a tried-and-true hull and smooth maneuverability. Glide technology with blue fins allows the kayak to move quickly through the water.
The kayak's spacious deck has been redesigned to complement the Vantage CT seat, which helps maximize storage and standing room in the boat. You'll also find many state-of-the-art features such as the Lowrance Ready system that helps make sonar installation a breeze.
- I use this kayak for fishing and love it!
- Cruising is great!
- Has plenty of room and is very stable
- Was able to install my accessories without any problems
- By far my favorite kayak!
- I highly recommend this kayak
When shopping for spearfishing gear, your kayak is one of your most important tools. the Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-Top Fishing Kayak offers a all-around great tool for the water and is available in two colors. This kayak has a large and comfortable seating area as well as an open cockpit for carefree entry and exit from the boat.
Users will find the kayak equipped with two flush rod holders, as well as a swivel rod holder. There is also a dry storage bin, adjustable foot braces, and a shock cord for deck rigging. If you need extra storage, a portable accessory carrier (PAC) can be used as a backpack or towed behind.
- Great buy on a budget.
- Great boat with great features
- Well worth the money
- I can load and carry it myself
- Great for casual users
- Easy to transport
If you're looking for value, drag and reliability, you've found it. Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 12 Angler Fishing Kayak for experienced anglers Offers advanced features. What makes it the best kayak for spearfishing is its spacious interior, ease of use and excellent boat control options.
The kayak features a stable polyethylene hull, molded carry handles, skid plates, drain plugs and a day well for storage. It also features an adjustable padded Comfort Flex seat and thigh pads for ultimate comfort. While traveling to and from dive sites, you can enjoy cockpit amenities such as a molded paddle park, cockpit tray and cup holders.
What users say:
- I own this kayak and couldn't be happier
- The track is straight and smooth
- Made of high quality materials
- Very good fishing kayak
- Hesitant about this kayak? Do it!
- Earned 5 stars
If you prefer something a little more stylish for your spearfishing adventures, consider the Vibe Kayaks Slipjack 120T Tandem Kayak Package. Available in three color designs, these packages are perfect for all your fishing, boating and adventure trips.
The kayaks are equipped with three seats that can easily accommodate two adults and one child. It can also be paddled alone while sitting in the middle position. This kit has everything you need for your spearfishing trips, including two covered hatches for storage, two flush-mounted rod holders with covers, four carry handles, and much more.
- Navigates well and is well balanced
- Has four handles, making it easy to transport
- Works well in both fresh and salt water
- Great pole holder
- Easy to carry and very comfortable!
- This kayak is a great value